понедельник, 13 декабря 2010 г.

The Armenian forever-student in Europe. Time has come for leaving stones

  I have known Anush for ages. When my hometown Berd was bombed, my family were guests in Anush’s family’s house in Yerevan. I remember the parties, organized by my second-cousin Anush: banquets featuring European dishes and evening-parties filled with dancing and music Anush was always inspired, in the centre of the attention, and full of energy and enthusiasm!
It has been 7 years since Anush left Armenia to learn and lecture in foreign countries: Greece, Israel and Switzerland. After studying in the USA, she is now lecturing in Switzerland, participating in experiments which aim, as I understand, to find out the causes of Global Warming!

Her unwedded status is a very interesting issue for our neighbors. When Anush comes to Berd, she and I sat down to have a discussion.

“Everything was very different in Europa,” she tells me, “especially personal life. When somebody wants to get married in Europa, he must recognize and understand her very well. It doesn`t matter how old she or he is. It’s not the same in Armenia. Your neighbors are afraid that my time has passed; I am late (she means the time for getting married),” Anush laughed then continued, “European women and men are equal in their duties.”

“What differences you can show me in student life, my forever-student?,” I asked.

“The European student has 1 purpose; they are not interested in gorgeous clothes, jewelry, or new and modern cars, most of them are law-abiding, punctual in their work, as they understand that time is money.  In Europa, it is not important whose lover you are, who are your relatives; it is important only your knowledge, professional skills, technique and, experience.”

“I heard that Berd is similar to Switzerland, really?”

“You are partly right; there are 2 mountains and some places without deforestation [in Armenia]. These parts are very alike of Switzerland.”

“To satisfy my neighbors’ interest, when are you going to leave the stones from your hem; when are you going to get married?”

“So when is the time?,” she breathes heavily. “Nothing is ever-lasting. There is clearly no time when I shall be fully ready for that. But I must answer, my sister, or you won’t let me be. I think that it will happen during these next 2 years, and I finally shall leave the stones.”

Author’s Note: It’s not a good idea to get my nose into all of her business, but I couldn’t help it since I know my subject so well. 
 

6 комментариев:

  1. Good morning!!!I know Anush from 6 years,i became her lucky boyfriend :-) and i can tell that she s importing Armenian s Culture in the right way...good dishes from there..music...discussing about politic..I love your culture!
    I came this year for holidays there and my best remembering is when we stayed in her Uncle house... in Anahit village.I love animals and countryside life...For the future i m planning to have a farm also with pigs and cows maybe in Armenia:-)...I loved also the great families of Anush and friends...Great minds open on a brighter furure of Armenia.To be positive and working to solve the problems is the greatest way to change better a country as yours!Thanks a lot armenian friends and thanks Anahit!Alessandro De Rossi

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. An jan porcum em tesnem ashatum e commentneri funkcian

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Asxatum a hayer!

    Dear Alex, you loved Armenia because you know my sister...
    I am amazed! Do you really have an idea of pigs and cows??? POOR, POOR my sister...

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Hi all.... For the first I would like to say many thanks to Anahit for writing about me, I felt very good :)))). I would like to say many thanks to Alexxxx as well, Its very pleasent to hear that he liked my cauntry and culture....By the way Anahit about pigs and cows he is not joking, he really likes the countryside life so much, he has specific world, and he made me love it too..... :)))))))so you never know may be one day we will leave our life and career in Europe and will come to Armenia to keep pigs and cows :)))))))))))

    ОтветитьУдалить
  5. Come nightingale, tell me the word.
    The mountain from which you came is blessed.
    The rose burns you, my love burns me.
    You are crying, I will also cry

    Thanks.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  6. Thanks all for your comment!
    Dear Alex and Anush, I have to touch up on pigs and cows... You are welcome to Berd, I shall be very very very happy to share this amazing and gray round with my lovelies. But Ill confess that I dont like pigs and cows at all.
    P.S. It doesnt matter, the most important thing is that LOVE MAKES WORLD GO ROUND!!!

    ОтветитьУдалить