вторник, 28 сентября 2010 г.

101 years old CAPTIVE

   A few days later, we’ll  celebrate my grandfather Sargise’s birthday. He is 101 years  old and the most senior veteran of our area. My deceased grandmother’s brother, he is a living legend and sole survivor of his family of 12 members.

“Haaa, last year many people came on my anniversary, some of them were from Germany, with their translator, and others from the Red Cross also came; they have photographs with me. This year, they will come, too; they have promised,” said me grandfather Sargis actively, in spite of having broken his leg and being bedridden for the past few months.

Medals for World War II
Grandfather Sargis has a delightful memory (in contrast to me and our enormous age difference). He has been the witness of World War I, the Armenian Genocide, participated in World War II and was a captive for 6 years of the German military.

“In November of 1942, we were captives, and we were so hungry that we had to chew the oldest shoes, then we decided to escape, as nobody had bread; war had damaged everything and everybody. Then I had to worked in a German colony as a construction worker. I knew Russia a bit, so there were some translators also. One night, the Germans decided to send us Sevostopol, and in that forest, we felt it was our chance for us to escape, and so we did,” continues Sargis.

Grandpa Sargis escaped with a few fellow captives. They were hungry for almost a week, and had trouble overcoming the thick forest. After escaping, Sargis and his group were found by allies. Then he was sent to Abkhazia to work in mines of the coal. After working 4 years in the mines, Sargis returned to his native town Berd (at that time a village in Shamshadine region).

Grandpa Sargis has received no financial reparation to this day from Germany or Armenia. The only reason is that he was the captive near the Old Crimea and this area isn’t part of Germany, even though he was 6-month captive in German colony.

Garndpa Sargis accidently broke his leg, now he is bedridden and cannot walk any more. The German guests brought for him crutches and clothes. They had an interview with Grandfather Sargis and have published the interview in the Germanic “Aktiv Rotkreuz” magazine.

“Where you have got your wife, grandma Anush?”

“Oooo, she hasn’t disappeared, I was 24-years-olds—she was just 14—and that time, girls were few, and boys were many. There were no money and no rings. In our engagement, we put a plate on their table, each of us fill the plate with change.”

“What about the red apple?” mentions Grandfa Sargises son`s wife

“What? What you say? I don’t really remember, well, I remembered, once I gave my wife a red apple as an expensive gift,” laughed Grandpa Sargis (I am sure, he remembered some other stories, but didn’t want to tell me, because he thought that I will laugh at him).

We also spoke about the Armenian-Azerbaijan antagonism.

“You know, I never wish to be at war; to have a war. My sons are in the army, some of them work in army, and others serve. When there was no war, Azeri came to our markets and trade with us; we were neighbors. But remember, Turks and Azeri are not from a good tribe; they always create a trouble for us. I mean, you can be a dog’s friend, but don’t forget to have a stick in your hands!”

3 комментария:

  1. Dear Anahit, congratulations with the translation. This is going to be extremely useful, as I know many people who would like to read your writings but they could not because of language.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Thank you for your usefull comment, Ill do my best to find a time for translation some of my articles also. Is it your comment, dear Alex???

    ОтветитьУдалить